Shopping season is coming up quick, and with it come the scammers, hackers, and ne’er-do-wells that would love to steal your credit card info so they can fill their stockings this Christmas. Here are a few quick tips for online shopping in preparation for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Only shop on trusted sites. Those great deals at those other sites most likely are too good to be true. Stick with what you know.
- Make sure those trusted sites have secure URLs. That means https (s means secure). Anything else could be intercepted by hackers.
- Use a secure connection. If you’re on wifi, make sure it’s a trusted source. Starbucks, the airport, or a random hotspot may be a fake network just trying to capture your info as you shop.
- Use a credit card, not a debit card. Credit cards are protected against fraud. Debit cards are not.
- After your purchase, watch your account for any anomalies.
Use these tips to make your days merry and bright. Happy shopping!